Day 2 of the 2018 Flats & Handwashing Nappy Challenge - What's in your stash & how much did it cost?
Hello again and welcome to Day 2 of the 2018 Flats and Handwashing Challenge hosted by Cloth Diaper Revival.
It's day 2 of the 7 day challenge, during which I will be using only flats and covers as nappies, and I will be handwashing them to get them clean. No modern cloth nappies, no washing machines & no tumble dryers. Am I crazy? Probably! But I am up for the challenge and I can't wait to bring you along with me through my blog and Instagram.
You can scroll through my previous cloth nappy posts here:
For those of you wondering what on earth the flats challenge is all about, here is some more info for you:
Kim at Dirty Diaper Laundry founded the Flats and Handwashing Challenge eight years ago as a way to bring awareness that cloth diapers are a valid option for families in need, struggling to provide diapers for their baby.
"Our aim is not to say that every poor family facing the supremely difficult choice of buying diapers or food should use cloth diapers. That would be short-sighted of us to think it's an answer for every family. The flats challenge is a way to show that for families willing and able, babies can be diapered for less than $100 or even $50 and without owning a washing machine. It is a viable option for families who are in homes without washing machines and an effective one." ~Kim Rosas, Dirty Diaper Laundry
What’s in your stash & how much did it cost?
Here's a breakdown of what is in my stash for this challenge, as well as a breakdown of what each item cost:
- 5 x Sugabums purple Hemp Flats: R50 each (I bought these pre-loved) = R250
- 5 x Fluff & Stuff red Hemp Flats: R70 each = R350
- 4 x Biddykins white Newborn Hemp Flats: R60 each = R240
- 3 x Pokkelokkie blue Newborn Hemp flats: R75 each =R225
- Snappies: R13 for a pack of two at Pep
- 3 x ButtonsDiapers Covers: R300 (I bought two of the preloved and the other from Smitten Baby Boutique)
- 1 x BottomsOn Hemp Flat: gifted by BottomsOn
- 1 x BottomsOn Windpro Softshell Cover: gifted by BottomsOn
- 3 x Blueberry Coveralls Covers: R230 each (bought these overseas) =R690
- 1 x Little Lamb Bombproof Cover: R130
- Bucket: R60
- Plunger: R35 (thank you to my friends Sophie & Cam for the gift!!)
- 10 large homemade flats I bought pre-loved for R500 (these are my emergency stash incase the current grey and wet weather means my nappies don't dry in time!)
- 10 x Fleece liners: R50
- Ariel Washing Powder: +- 200g for this challenge R6 (R60 for 2kg's)
Grand Total: R2362 (+ R500 emergency stash = R2862)
I handwashed the first load of nappies this morning (and learned a few hard lessons which I'll be sharing later this week) and it looks like the weather is not going to be on my side. I've had to move the nappies inside in the hopes that it's warmer in here than it is outside! Holding thumbs they dry by this afternoon, as I'm running out of flats!
I'll be back again tomorrow!